Monday, October 18, 2010

Mysore Practice


I have been going for the Mysore class on Saturday morning at Azmi’s Home Studio for the past three weeks.  Although there are a few of us in the class, everyone is doing the poses of the Ashtanga Primary series at our own pace.  

I am pleased that I have been able to remember the sequence of the poses which help me to set my pace and connect my breath to the movement.  Keeping my breath in sync with the flow of the movements helps me to be focused and energized throughout the practice.

A Mysore class is a like a self-practice but with the benefit of having a teacher assist and adjust you in the poses when he sees the need to.   I am also able to take my time to go into the poses especially when doing the binding for the Marichyasana poses which ensures that my grip is tighter in the poses which enable a deeper forward fold for Marichyasana A and B and a deeper twist for Marichyasana C and D. 

I find the Mysore class very motivating as I can see my own progress and the advances I have made in some of the poses. I am now more confident of my headstand and have started to add in a variation by opening my legs wide in the pose last Saturday and managed to stay in the pose for at least 5 breaths before coming down.   I intend to work on my jump back and jump through so that I will have better transitions between the poses which will help to keep my practice light and fluid. 

"Yoga is a light, which once lit, will never dim.  The better your practice, the brighter the flame" - B.K.S. Ivengar


2 comments:

Claudia said...

Enjoyed reading about your Mysore experience and coming upon your blog. :-)

Karin said...

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for dropping by..love your blogs too..:)

Love & Light,
Karin