Monday, June 28, 2010

Beginner's Mind


“We talk about 'beginner's mind' and when new yogini 's come to class, it is a honor to be their first guide to yoga practice. It reminds me that one of my goals is to look at situations with a beginner's mind. To take my belly breaths and delight in the sensations! What if it were the first time you were breathing with awareness! Some students have remarked that they hadn't known that their breath could be both 'passive' and 'active'. It reminds me to use my own knowledge of my breath to keep myself centered when troubled by worldly matters. Today, we can all have a beginner's mind, in whatever it is we are doing, and thrill at our senses, in the simple delights of breathing and the ancient wisdom which tells us enjoy our lives with beginner's eyes. What is possible, for you, with a beginner's mind?”

The above was posted by a Yoga Bear’s member in her blog and I find it to be a good reminder as it is with a beginner’s mind that we can approach our practice with awareness and humbleness.

When we remind ourselves that we are always a beginner as there is always a pose that we have never done before and so many variations to explore, we will cultivate a beginner’s mind which is having an attitude of openness, eagerness and lack of preconceptions when studying a subject, even when studying at an advanced level, just as a beginner in that subject.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." - Shunryu Suzuki

No comments: