Do you know that eating breakfast can help you to lose weight? Research has shown that people who skip breakfast tends to consume more calories throughout the day as they will indulge in impulse nibbling and tend to overeat at lunch and dinner.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the the day as eating a significant meal early in the day also ensures our body’s leptin production. Leptin is a hormone that suppresses appetite which leads to fewer calories consumed throughout the day.
However, what we eat for breakfast may affect what we eat later on. Eating refined carbohydrates such as sugary cereals, toasted white bread, waffles, or bagels will only send your blood-sugar plummeting and leave you starving in just an hour’s time and will likely begin an overeating cycle.
Instead, feed yourself with a healthy breakfast of complex carbs, proteins and fats which should keep you from snacking before lunch and throughout the day.
Here are some examples of quick and healthy breakfast you can try:
- Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana
- A bowl of high-fiber cereal with low-fat milk and blueberries
- Whole-egg or egg white omelets with fresh or frozen veggies
- Blend fruit and yogurt to make a shake or smoothie
- Cold turkey and cheese wrapped in a pita
- Whole wheat muffin topped with raisins
You can also add in fruits such as an apple, a slice or two of papaya or watermelon.
So jump start your metabolism each morning with a healthy breakfast!