Monday, December 1, 2008
Tips for Better Sleep
The following tips make it easier to relax and drift off.
1. Make sure your bedroom is comfortable and conducive to sleep. It should be adequately ventilated and not too hot. The curtains should be heavy enough to keep the room dark.
2. A firm mattress, slim pillow and covers made of natural fabrics are best for sleep.
3. Get into a routine of going to bed and getting up at the same time.
4. Avoid watching television or listening to the radio in bed.
5. Unwind before you go to bed by soaking in a warm bath with a few drops of lavender, frankincense, roman chamomile or clary sage oil. A sprinkling of any one of these aromatherapy oils on the pillow or sheets may also make you pleasantly sleepy. You can learn more about lavender oil and all its glorious benefits from Balance Me Beautiful website.
6. Regular exercise, especially if it’s in the fresh air, promotes good quality sleep – a brisk walk for 20 minutes a day could help greatly. It is more effective to exercise in the afternoon or early evening because exercising too late may over-stimulate you. You can also do some of the yoga poses that I posted in my blog on Bed-time Yoga Poses to help you sleep better.
7. If you find it difficult to get to sleep, don’t toss and turn or become obsessed with trying to doze off. Instead get up for a while, have a light snack such as toast spread lightly with honey. Read for a while or listen to soothing music.
8. Complementary therapies such as massage and acupuncture relax your body and are therefore very good sleep tonics.
9. Meditation is believed to be an even better form of relaxation then sleep.
“A taste of honey is not only sweet – it can help to soothe you to sleep. A teaspoon stirred into a cup of warm milk is just enough to keep your blood sugar in balance throughout the night”