Friday, October 10, 2008

My Daily Health Supplements

For me, my daily supplements form an important part of my health regimen. Supplements enhance our diet as generally, it is difficult to maintain a diet that meets the standard requirements of all nutrients. Moreover, we tend to eat only food that we like, resulting in deficiency in some nutrients. Supplements help to fill in those gaps for people who are generally healthy but for some reasons can’t eat a well-balanced diet every day.

My daily health supplements consist of the following:-

Spirulina

I actually started taking Spirulina when I was informed by the doctor that I was anaemia after I went for a medical check-up. I found out that Spirulina can counter anaemia and after taking it for a year, when I went for my yearly medical check-up, my anemia problem had gone.


Spirulina has a rich source of nutrients, containing up to 70% protein, B-complex vitamins, phycocyanin, chlorophyll, beta-carotene, vitamin E, and numerous minerals. Spirulina promotes health in many ways. It powerfully protects from oxidant stress and strongly supports the immune system and a healthy inflammatory response.

Super EPA Omega-3

This fish oil supplement has many benefits which include the following:-

- Lowers cholesterol and promotes healthy heart
- Improves mood, memory and concentration
- Relieves aching and inflamed joints


Calcium with Magnesium and Potassium

As I am lactose-intolerant, (I get diarrhoea when I drink too much milk) I take calcium supplements to help me obtain calcium which is a very important mineral to maintain strong bones.

Magnesium is needed for calcium absorption as magnesium suppresses parathyroid hormone (PTH) which draws calcium out of the bones and deposits it in the soft tissues and stimulates calcitonin which increases calcium in our bones and keeps it from being absorbed in our soft tissues. preventing osteoporosis and arthritis.

In conjunction with calcium and potassium, magnesium regulates heart rhythm. It also plays a role in the production and use of insulin.

Vitamin C and Zinc

Vitamin C enhances immunity, minimizes cold symptoms, speeds wound healing, promotes healthy gums and prevents cataracts and helps to protects against forms of cancer and heart disease. Zinc has many benefits; it helps to prevent colds, flu, conjunctivitis and other infections.

I normally take Redoxon Effervescent; dissolving 1 tablet in a glass of water. It is a nice refreshing drink with all the benefits of Vitamin C and Zinc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only take multi-vit form GNC. Sometimes (when I got sorethroat or month ulcer only I remember to) take Vitamin C :p

Unknown said...

Hello Karin,

You have a lovely & informative blog.
I would like to start taking some organic spirulina powder that I can sprinkle on my drink or soup. Do you have any experience or comment consuming spirulina in that manner? I assume from the pictures shown you are currently taking them in tablet form.Thanks

Karin said...

Hi Jay

Yes, I am taking them in the tablet form. Have not tried the powder form so cannot give you any feedback.

Anonymous said...

I used to buy my health supplements through GNC.