Sunday, January 3, 2010

Half Headstand b4 Full Headstand

“What is the one pose that you have always wanted to do, but have not been able to do yet? This question was asked by Azmi to us during my first class at Beyoga for this year. Well, my answer was Headstand. Although there are still many poses that I am still not able to do which I could have chosen, I chose Headstand as I am still not able to execute the pose confidently.

After reading a reply in a forum about problems in headstands where a forum member wrote about building the headstand from the ground up with strength and control, I realize that my fear of falling is not the hurdle to my headstand.

The forum member had wrote about differentiating between “getting into headstand” and “being in headstand” and holding in the pose. I realize that all this while, I am just “getting into headstand”; there would be times when I would be able to lift my legs up but would only be able to hold the pose for just a very short while or if I use the wall as support, I would not be able to lift both legs off the wall at the same time.

I realize that in order for me to “be in headstand”, I need to gain proper form and confidence by building strength and awareness in the pose and I should listen to Azmi’s advice on doing the half headstand before attempting the full headstand.

So, for my next class onwards, instead of trying to do the full headstand, I will be doing the half headstand and hopefully, the day will come when I can naturally follow through to a full headstand.

"In truth, it matters less what we do in practice than how we do it and why we do it. The same posture, the same sequence, the same meditation with a different intention takes on an entirely new meaning and will have entirely different outcomes" - Donna Farhi

No comments: